September is the month for Basic Education and Literacy in Rotary.
Consider these facts:
- If all women completed primary education, there would be 66% fewer maternal deaths.
- A child born to a mother who can read is 50% more likely to survive past the age of five.
- If all students in low-income countries left school with basic reading skills, 171 million people could be lifted out of poverty, which would be equivalent to a 12% cut in world poverty.
- 58 million children worldwide are out of school.
- Even after four years of primary schooling, as many as 250 million children cannot read and write.
- 781 million adults are illiterate.